Pages

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Death before Decaf !!

Decaf is a topic I have been meaning to discuss for some time now . Today I stumbled upon this meme " Death before Decaf " and decided its time ... There is more caffeine in my body than blood ( honest truth !! ) And I especially like to read the many studies affirming the positive impact of coffee  on our health :P. However, it can be addictive because of the caffeine. Why am I ( of all people ) thinking decaf ?



I wanted to keep my caffeine intake low on account of my continuous effort to ward off excess pounds :P ( some of us are always on diet , aren't we ??? )  .. Others, such as those with kidney disease or anxiety disorders, may need to avoid caffeine all together. Whatever your case may be, if you are considering decaf you need to read this.

The first and the foremost to consider is whether decaf contains caffeine. While there may be variances in coffee, decaf certainly does contain caffeine - just in lower amounts. If you are not supposed to have caffeine , decaf is not the option. As few amounts of caffeine might add up to more than the limit end of the day..

After so much thought I decided to try decaf. Tough decision for a coffee lover. They say decaf would still be the same as coffee just without caffeine .. The first day when I drank decaf in the morning , I realised I was still sleeping.. haha jokes apart , it didn't give me the push or the wake up call to my cells .. So technically it didn't satisfy one of the most important reasons of why I drink coffee ( I have many reasons actually !! ) ..

Another main difference I felt was the sweet taste of coffee.. I mean really sweet ..I generally add a small teaspoon of sugar to my coffee.. so the decaf I tried was extra sweet coz the powder I used make the coffee tasted sweet.. Now , that's a complete no no.. But I am not the one who gives up so easily on any idea until it works.. so started investigating ( oh ya ! you can imagine me with googly spectacles and a magnifying glass in hand :P )

Certain Decafs are made using Swiss water process or carbon dioxide extraction, both of which are quite harmless. But most decafs employ chemical solvents such as methylene chloride (forget the name - it is a toxic compound and suspected carcinogen ) or ethyl acetate to strip caffeine molecules from the green coffee bean. This ethyl acetate adds a sweet fruit flavour. Now that explains it..So the next time ( I doubt that .. ) I sure would check the label for the process of decaf ..

Decaf didn't gimme the energy and the pleasure that actual coffee  gives.. I was once a person who could drink anything that was close to the taste of coffee ( be it hot water :P ) . But now I have grown to like its aroma, taste , flavour. So my satiety quotient has changed . And I read that coffee drinkers live longer than non coffee drinkers ( I mean really.. Do you want the link :P ) . Do I need to give you more reasons for my solid cup of java ....


Wish I had done this investigation before I bought that big jar of decaf :-(..I don't really know what you have decided after reading this , I sure have decided DECAF not my cup of tea ( I mean coffee :P :D )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment