Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Mrs.Funny Bones

Hello all.. oh ya, I finally read Mrs. Funnybones of Mrs.Twinkle Khanna.. it was not like I was longing to read her book but yeah I was curious.. I've always found her witty and funny ( sometimes )..So when I heard about her book it raised my curiosity.. I finished it in a jiffy .. and that's how the book is.. you know, when you need a break or to when to need to come out of  readers block, this book is perfect.. 




First of all, I should appreciate her effort.. she definitely managed to give us a glimpse of her personal life as she goes through it in a satirical way.. The actress turned interior designer turned writer Mrs. Khanna is funny and sarcastic but definitely did not make me laugh hysterically :P.. I felt the book is more like an extension of her blog and has a conversational tone throughout the book. I liked it . You get to know about Mrs .Funnybones ( her), the man of the house, the prodigal son and the baby.

She talks about life of a busy, middle aged mom who tries to reduce her weight and manage work and in laws and everything in between.. That sounds like me .. hence can relate to most of what she says... I also wondered why was she complaining about weight .. Man !! to me she looked perfect at the book launch show ... That's when you realise, you know, everybody these days feel different about their bodies and most women are on a never ending diet and want to loose more and more weight ( me too !!! ) ..There you go, she gives a perfect picture of  modern women . Multi-tasking everything like cooking, working at office, taking care of kids, worrying about weight and exercising :P .... Having said that , her complaints about baby stuff and dealing with domestic help kinda sounds more like whining ..There she sounds completely frustrated and utterly human, like you and me ( celebrity prejudice aside :P )... Amidst all that , she makes you feel certain important things in a very light hearted way.
 
A few excerpts that I really enjoyed ..

On her name: Naming me Twinkle was a foolproof way of making sure that I would get teased throughout my life, have immigration officers at various airports stare at my passport and shake with hysterical laughter and strangers stalk me with WhatsApp messages like, ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, little star, I hope you get hit by a car!’

On not being a philosopher:
As I am in the midst of my random musings, my reverie is interrupted by the man of the house saying, ‘I am hungry, let’s get some food!’

Sometimes I am glad I am not a philosopher – how would I ever complete a single chain of thought when someone is constantly asking me to do something? I don’t think Plato would have been able to write his dialogues if he had a wife who kept bugging him to pass the pita bread.

On her status in the house:
The man of the house has very politely informed guests who have come to see the baby that I am unavailable, as I am ‘milking’, and thereby sealed my status from cool chick to mooing cow.

On her sense of humour and her ‘prodigal’ son’s disdain for it: Him: ‘Mom, I have packed my Swiss Army knife.’
Me: ‘Why? Are you going on a school trip or trying to attack Afghanistan?’
Him: ‘Mom, your jokes suck.’

On her smartphone:
God was right when he told Adam to leave the apple alone.

She definitely is well read and has opinions on important things which comes out in every single chapter but I was certainly expecting a little more.. Overall a good book but could have been lots better. I would certainly read her next one and I think she has all potential to come up with a decent chic lit :P ( point to be noted Mrs. Khanna !!! ) and yes , please don't use the word " Blimey " anymore, you have already crossed the threshold :P
 

No comments:

Post a Comment