Pages

Thursday 6 August 2015

Coffee Confusion !!!

Coffee is my favourite thing and talking about my favourite thing ( with my blog named coffee .. ) is such a delight. Have you ever felt you don't know which coffee to drink when there are hundreds of choices in supermarkets / cafes ?

Well, I have. I am a big fan of south Indian filter coffee. Perfect blend of Narasus /Cothas coffee powder and chicory will make the best , well rounded brew. I drink it with hot milk and a small dash of sugar. A lot of my friends drink it black but I cant :P .. hmmm .. I can smell the aroma of hot coffee by just imagining it ..It feels like heaven. Only coffee lovers can understand what I am fetishizing about.



With me moving from country to country , this is one thing I certainly miss. My favourite filter coffee powders. So I decided to switch to instant coffee with a sad face and half heart. Again, with instant coffees, there are various brands and you don't get proper reviews on them before you choose. ( yes, I try reading reviews before I buy coffee :P .. C'mon it is not as easy as you think ) . Hence I decided to write reviews on the ones I have tried. You might ask,  are you an expert on this ? I am no expert but I have tried a few different instant coffee brands and I drink coffee as a fuel for energy sometimes and sometimes as a delicacy, really relishing it . So doesn't that make me a perfect coffee connoisseur :P

Now getting to the point, I am gonna review coffee based on its 4 basic characteristics - aroma , acidity, body and flavour. I actually am not too sure about acidity so I shall limit my comments to only 3 :P

First one is my personal favourite Carte Noire's classic Instant Coffee.
                                   

It is France's best selling premium coffee brand. Made from a blend of arabica coffee and finely-milled beans, Carte Noire’s classic Instant coffee promises a quality and taste “reminiscent” of roast ground coffee. And that's why I chose it. The bottle is a sexy black colour with a golden ribbon ( attractive isn't it :-) ) . The coffee has rich aroma. You can smell coffee from far. The classic has a perfect coffee flavour but doesn't have much body on its own. It needs milk or cream to give a full rounded body. That's exactly how I like it.

If you are looking for a something from mild to little strong coffee in the morning to give you the energy, this is the one you should go for. It wakes you up in its own gentle way.

Next is the Douwe Egbert's Pure Gold Instant coffee.


 
 
What I loved the most about D E is its indulgent varieties and upcycled jars :P . Its true , this coffee brand is pure indulgence. It has a mild coffee aroma, well rounded body and rich coffee flavour. Having said that , while adding milk to it , it becomes more mild and not strong enough to give that badly needed kick in the morning. It is pure indulgence. When you have loads of time , you wanna sit and relax with a big mug of coffee in front of the TV, this is the perfect one.                                      
 
Talking about indulgence, I decided I shall indulge a little more in their different flavours. I like Hazelnut . So I tried the Moccona Hazelnut flavour infused instant coffee.
 
Not all times do we get to visit cafes for the real coffee. This is the closest you could get to the real thing. It has an extremely gorgeous smell of hazelnut and coffee. It is a lovely combination. Makes your heart melt... It has full body , typical of Douwe Egberts. Adding milk just reduces its richness and hence I had to add another teaspoon of coffee powder. It has a sweet taste on its own and so people like me who add sugar to coffee , beware. It has a slight flavour of hazelnut. Overall it is a perfect guilt free treat on a cold winter day. It is definitely not for your caffeine rush.

Arrgh.. I can go on and on about coffee I think. Its never ending topic. Watch this space for more reviews and stuff about coffee :D . Have you guys tried different brands and have your personal favourites , feel free to comment and let me know . I would certainly love to know and try. Coffee anytime anywhere ....

I have tried something new in the past 5 months.. Have decided to keep adding to the reviews :-) This time it is purely Australian owned Robert Timms Premium Rich and Smooth Freeze dried instant coffee ...


I just happened to browse through their website and found the story of their owner Robert Timms' very interesting and inspiring.. The jar did not make a great impression first. Don't ask me , why I still bought it.. Sometimes I listen to my instincts :P .. The jar and the cover is not as fancy as the other expensive coffees.. It lacks the aroma . The smell of coffee doesn't hit you when you open the jar. I still went ahead and made the coffee... You wont regret the buy. The coffee tasted absolutely heavenly. I would rank this next to ( almost equal to ) my personal favourite Carte Noire but it lacks aroma .. It gets a well rounded body with milk. It is slightly strong and leaves a lovely coffee flavour lingering in your mouth for a long time...

More reviews will follow as and when I try new brands of coffee.. Keep watching this space :-)





 
 

2 comments:

  1. The best brands in India and over the world. The individuals who are wellbeing cognizant can pick from the best brands of hazelnut coffee India. With regards to hazelnut coffee India and natural coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to the efforts and hardwork you have put into this, i have hardly come across such detailed writing and researched guide on best coffee powder for black coffee. Visit once.

    ReplyDelete