Pages

Monday 10 August 2015

If I Stay 1 & 2

Hey people .. Although I promised I would review either Book Thief or Paper Towns , I have come back with something else. There was this offer on books going on, in my favourite book store which said 2 for $10.00.. I picked up " If I stay " instantly ( mainly because it said its made into a movie ) .. Not knowing what other book should I pick, the store keeper suggested read the sequel " where she went " ... I thought that would be a wise choice .. Reading the sequel immediately after finishing the first one ..

Before reading any book, I try googling its ratings if possible.. Its not like I don't read books that don't have good rating or are not liked by the bigger crowd of audience. I read it anyway. Its just to create a mood and to set my priorities in the list of books that I have.. The ratings were great and most of them said its a moving , heart-warming , heart-breaking story etc.. So I immediately picked it up.
         
   
                               

Let me first talk about " If I Stay " ... The book was good but not great I would say. It definitely was sad and would even achieve to bring a tear or two at some places. But not heart wrenching .. May be because I have a strong heart or have experienced loss of loved ones .. I don't know ..

( *** Spoiler Alert *** ) Mia has to make a choice to stay or go following a fatal accident . She looses her entire family - loving dad , strong and caring mom and loving brother in the accident. . Her boyfriend Adam promises to do whatever it takes to make her stay even if it is letting her go. This is the story line . Mia has this out of body experience and the whole situation is narrated from the eyes of Mia who is in critical condition in the hospital.

There are places where my eyes welled up with tears. Especially when her grandfather gives her permission to leave. Overall, I found this book good but definitely overrated ....
 
Gayle Forman did succeed as a writer. She has managed to grab my attention and sustain it. So I move on to read the sequel " Where she went " .. It was so sad to know that Mia left Adam inspite of Adam helping her through the whole recovery process. Adam slips into depression and takes his anger and sorrow on others for 3 years. He keeps blaming Mia for leaving him in darkness and utter bitterness. That is a little too much don't you think ? Mia moves on to become a famous cellist and Adam gets famous too with his albums . I loved the lyrics of Collateral Damage written in the beginning of each chapter.

I wanted Adam to at least have a good closure with Mia. The book has a happy ending. Adam gets to question Mia , finds his answers and they give their love a second chance. I still cant understand why Mia would leave Adam who has been described like a fairy-tale lover. If she had problems , she could have spoken to him . He seemed to be so understanding and approachable. Instead she shuts herself and pushes him away. Understand that she didn't want pity but I think Adam had much more than pity. He loved her so much. Anyways , the book was a good read.

Finally, I would definitely pick up works of Gayle Forman in the future :-) . These books are not so bad. They both get a  3 star *** rating from me.

Feel free to let me know your comments even if you don't agree to me . You might have loved the long lasting love of Mia and Adam or you might even agree with me . Share your feelings in the comments .. Bye for now ..

No comments:

Post a Comment