Pages

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Paper Towns ...

Here comes the post that I promised . My review of Paper Towns by John Green. I loved The Fault in Our Stars. Hence I picked another book by John Green. My idea of a John Green book is emotional and deep. So I was expecting something similar. This book although attempts to bring deep thoughts , it fails. If you were looking for a sentimental read , I am afraid this is not yours. I love reading sentimental stuff as long as it is not too sappy :P


 
 
It is tough to discuss books without discussing its characters and bit of the story .. This story is about young adults Quentin Jacobsen and his neighbour and childhood love interest Margo Roth Spiegelman.

I liked it when Margo takes a revenge and does it in a scheming well planned way. She looks like a person we would want to be but can not. She is full of adventure and spontaneity . That last night with Quentin was very interesting. After all that interesting things they do , she disappears leaving Quentin with clues to come find her.

Quentin is so madly and deeply obsessed with Margo. I cant actually say that's love. But why is he so obsessed with her ? Why does he ruin his last days at school and with friends by wasting his time searching her ? Why is he trying to desperately find her ?  All that is not explained well but I thought the answers would be understood when they finally find her.

Why did Margo leave? Why did she want Quentin to find her if she wanted to disappear ? Why does she leave clues and why was she surprised when they find her.. All these are not answered well at the end or did I miss something ? I am not so sure. All I feel is Margo's interesting character looses its charm when her purpose is not well justified. The end of the story could have been much better.

Every chapter that I read about the quest to find her and decipher her clues were boring . I kept pursuing with a hope that it will all be worth the wait but unfortunately I feel John Green left me hanging there with lots of unanswered questions.

What I really enjoyed are - the adventurous night of Margo and Quentin ,  the prom night of Quentin and his friends and definitely the road trip. The way the road trip was described was very enjoyable indeed. I would love to go on a trip with my friends like that .

Overall, I would definitely go pick up another book of John Green. It is a nice read but could have been much better if only Margo validated her reason for leaving and the idea behind leaving clues .
So have fun reading friends ..and let me know if you have answers the questions that I had while reading.



 

2 comments:

  1. Well Quentin sounds like me...Only My Margo never left a single clue..Damn cruel...Well jokes apart, in spite of not being in book reading, i loved the review...(Probably the length of the article is my reading threshold)...You should surely do more...and try to find a crowd (I might be Fat but still can not be categorized as crowd, Suchi for sure not a crowd)...:)....Good luck....Bonjour...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha.. I will find a crowd soon... thanks a ton sagar..

    ReplyDelete